ART. 1 . . . The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
ART. 2 . . . The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.
ART. 3 . . . The thrown ball shall not be touched by a teammate of the thrower while the ball is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane, except as in 7-5-7.
ART. 4 . . . Once the throw-in starts, the ball shall be released on a pass directly into the court before five seconds have elapsed.
ART. 5 . . . The thrower shall not carry the ball onto the court.
ART. 6 . . . The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 7 . . . The thrown ball shall not enter the basket before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 8 . . . The thrown ball shall not become lodged between the backboard and ring or come to rest on the flange before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 9 . . . The thrower shall not be replaced by a teammate after the ball is at the thrower’s disposal, except as in 7-5-7.
ART. 10 . . . The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
PENALTIES: (Art. 10)
1. The first violation of the throw-in boundary-line plane by an opponent(s) of the thrower shall result in a team warning for delay being given (one delay warning per team per game). The warning does not result in the loss of the opportunity to move along the end line when and if applicable.
2. The second or additional violations will result in a technical foul assessed to the offending team. See 10-2-1c Penalty.
3. If an opponent(s) reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required. See 10-4-10 Penalty.
4. If an opponent(s) contacts the thrower, an intentional personal foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.
ART. 11 . . . No teammate of the thrower shall be out of bounds after a designated-spot throw-in begins.
PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation,
1. When the opponent is awarded possession in their frontcourt, the throw-in will be at one of the four designated spots nearest the violation. (Diagram 5)
2. When the opponent is awarded possession in their backcourt, the throw-in will be from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.
A Better Official creates video content to help basketball officials get better and take control of their officiating career.