(1) a rectangle 6 feet horizontally and 4 feet vertically; or
(2) a rectangle 6 feet horizontally and 3½ feet vertically; or
(3) a fan-shaped backboard, 54-inches wide and with dimensions as shown in Figure 1-2.
a. Its solid color must be Pantone Matching System (PMS) Orange 151, Red-Orange 173 or Brown 1535, effective 2019-20.
b. It must be spherical.
c. It must have a deeply-pebbled cover with horizontally shaped panels bonded tightly to the rubber carcass.
d. The circumference must be:
1. Within a minimum of 29½ inches to a maximum of 30 inches for high school boys competition. 2. Within a minimum of 28½ inches to a maximum of 29 inches for high school girls competition.
e. The weight must be: Figure 1-3
1. Within a minimum of 20 ounces to a maximum of 22 ounces for high school boys competition. 2. Within a minimum of 18 ounces to a maximum of 20 ounces for high school girls competition.
f. The black rubber rib separating the panels must not exceed ¼ inch in width.
g. The ball must include the NFHS Authenticating Mark. The mark can be displayed in either format shown in Figure 1-3. A current list of NFHS authenticated products can be found on the Web site, www.nfhs.org.